Monday, January 30, 2012

Sesame Street Blanket and Pillowcase

So I found this Sesame Street flannel at Wal-Mart and I just *had* to figure out a way to use it. Even though Jonah has tons of blankets already, I knew that he was about to have one more!

But since we are growing slowly but surely out of the receiving blanket stage, I thought I might go bigger...much bigger! The finished blanket is a little over 40"x50". I used the previously linked to tutorial on making a self-binding blanket with perfectly mitered corners. This time I figured it out! I had trouble with her instructions, but finally figured out what I was doing wrong and the blanket turned out EXACTLY as I envisioned.

I chose to back it and self-bind it in a bright orange sweatshirt fleece.

Here's an up-close view of the corners. I loved how they turned out and using this technique. It was a bit time consuming, but the finished product was worth it. And I doubt it would take me as long the next time.
But then as I was cruising in Hancock Fabrics one day, I happened upon the same Sesame Street fabric in cotton weave. Yay! What could I do with it?!? I decided to make a coordinating toddler's pillow (14"x20"). I also stumbled across a great stripe fabric that just happened to have all of the same colors in it as the SS fabric and I just knew I could use it as an accent.

I also used the stripe for the applique "J". Couldn't stand not to add a little personalization and throw the accent in there one more time.
Once home, though I was shuffling through my stash and found a near-neon yellow solid that I have no clue why I ever bought it. I decided to make it the main fabric of the pillow. And ta-da:

No comments:

Post a Comment