Monday, January 9, 2012

Faux Quilt

I found a fabric panel "quilt" at JoAnn's that I wanted to make into a blanket for Jonah. I found this tutorial on Pinterest and thought it would be good to try on this project. But I must have calculated wrong, because while my mitered corners turned out great the sizing and layout was all wrong. So I trimmed around the edge, used my quilter's rule and rotary cutter to even the edges and started over.

This time I just sewed a stitch 1/4" around the edge leaving a gap to turn and then turned it inside out. Used my turning tool to press out the corners, pressed and did a top-stitch 1/4" around the edge.

First, though, I embroidered Jonah's name onto one of the squares. I figure since I now have this capability, might as well use it!!

I backed the blanket in a red flannel that I pre-washed separately to lessen the chance of future bleeding. I like the contrast of the white stitch on the red back. I used the longest stitch my machine allows at 5mm, but upped the tension because I didn't want it to be

Here is the finished product. I like it even though it wasn't my original vision. Oh, well! It took me about an hour not including the start of the first "project" that I had to cut apart.

1 comment: