Thursday, January 5, 2012

Christmas PJs

The whole idea of our matching Christmas pajamas started because I found this fabric one day and just *had* to buy a yard and do something with it. The day I bought it I had no idea what I'd make, but figured I could make *something* for Jonah out of it.

Then I saw this tutorial on Pinterest about how to make *really* easy kids' pajama pants and I decided to use the snowflake flannel to make Jonah a pair.

They turned out so cute that the "family Christmas PJs" idea was born.

I decided though that while you can sew kid's pajama's that way, adults might not turn out so flattering. I could probably have done Fred's that way and it would have been fine, but I bought a unisex pattern and went from there. I used a McCall's pattern and used the measurements given on the package to determine size. Boy were they wrong! I had to take mine in about 4" and Fred's in about 2". I added length to mine and his both because we like our pants to hit the ground. I'd pre-washed the fabric so they shouldn't shrink, but they could and still fit fine.

I made Fred's with a simple drawstring using my bias tape maker to make folding and ironing easier. I knotted the ends and sealed with a no-fray liquid.

Mine, I used ribbon as the drawstring and then used it again as a ruffle at the pant hems. I sewed a basting stitch down the edge of 40" of 2 pieces of ribbon and manually gathered it to fit the pants. I heat sealed the ends of the ribbon for easy finishing. Next time I need to gather something though I will use my serger (I found a great tutorial and it would be SO MUCH FASTER!).

Here we are on Christmas morning in our PJs:

No comments:

Post a Comment